This was a tasty meal to make yesterday. We had a lot of broccoli piling up in our fridge, and a lot of egg still, and we had picked up Chase Hill Farm cheese, so a broccoli bake was in order, regardless of the heat.
Yes, I baked the broccoli bake, yes it was a very hot day. Am I crazy? Yes. I did however bake it early in the day and let it sit in the oven to keep warm, so that come dinner time the kitchen was not sweltering, but the bake was still a little warm. I also spent the majority of its baking time hiding in the one room in which we keep our window air conditioner. The salad was just a good way to use up more tomatoes and some stale bread. Very simple, easy and tasty. And of course very local.
Broccoli Cheese Bake: (serves 4)
- 1 lbs of broccoli, washed and cut florets
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 eggs (though 9 yolks, since one of the eggs was a double yolker from a very special hen from Red Fire– they are so cool!)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp of mustard
- 2 tsp of salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of shredded mild cheese (we used Chase Hill Farm’s Dutch Gold)
- 1/3 cup of crumbled crackers (we used our homemade whole wheat crackers)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Grease baking dish.
- Put broccoli and onion in baking dish.
- Beat together eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over broccoli and onion.
- Layer cheese on top.
- Sprinkle crackers on top.
- Bake for ~20-30 minutes.
- Let cool. Cut and serve!
The Panzanella Salad is a basically a salad with stale bread and lots of good juice. It is super delicious, because if you make a juicy tomato base, the bread soaks it up in a most tasty manner.
I took 4 small tomatoes, 2 cloves of pickled garlic (they came from a jar of pickled green beans that we have been keeping in the fridge) with some pickled green bean brine, some olive brine, and a little bit of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and salt. I mixed it all up, added pieces of stale bread and let it chill for a while. Later, to serve, I just washed and chopped lettuce and served the bread tomato mix on top. It was very tasty.
For dessert, we had some of Maples gelato- yum! A very nice meal to end our day.