We like pan-Asian stirfries. When Theresa first met me, I pretty much only ate stir fry.. luckily she changed that, but still stir fried veggies hold a big happy place in my heart (stomach). Here is one variation of stir fry we like to make:
Asian Vinegar Stir fry with Tofu (serves 4):
- 1 block of tofu, chopped
- 2 big heads of broccoli, washed and chopped
- 1 cup of snap peas, washed and ends trimmed
- 6 hakurei turnips, washed and chopped
- 4 garlic scapes, chopped
- 1 onion and greens, washed and chopped
- 4 scallions, washed and chopped
- ½ apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp bullion
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaping tbsp black bean paste
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Cook onion, garlic scapes and hakurei turnips in coconut oil until browned (about 10 minutes).
- Reduce heat and add vinegar, water, molasses, black bean paste, soy sauce and bullion, stir.
- Add broccoli, cook for about 5 minutes covered.
- Add tofu and scallion and stir well, continue to cook ~5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve on top of brown rice.
This cucumber salad is a favorite that accompanies many of our meals during cucumber season.
Cucumber Seaweed Salad (serves 2-4):
- 4 cucumbers, sliced
- 3 tbsp wakame seaweed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Let set until seaweed is rehydrated.
For dessert, we did not have gingerbread. Ha! Theresa instead made rice pudding!
Rice Pudding: (serves 4)
- 1/3 cup of white arborio rice
- 1 quart of milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- some old vanilla bean pieces (could just use extract)
- 1 cup frozen Blueberries
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put rice, milk, sugar and vanilla in a baking dish.
- Put in over for 1 hour. Stir every so often.
- Eventually it will sort of explode- the rice will become big and fill the whole thing, while only being just immersed in milk. That’s when its done.
- For blueberry sauce, cook blueberries in a saucepan with agave syrup until cooked and juicy (~10 minutes).
- Serve rice pudding ontop of blueberry sauce and sprinkle with cinnamon. Lavishly enjoy!
Anyhoo- today is Friday distribution. Yeah, new veggies! Our plans for the weekend include some farminess (farm stand visits and maybe raspberry PYO) some Fourth of July firework enjoyment, and most importantly, some Marion Birthday celebration (she’s a very patriotic bird- her B-Day is the 4th). We will keep you posted.